Our gut is extremely important for the proper working of our immune system. Having a healthy gut will go a long way in maintaining good physical and mental health. Doctors at a naturopathic clinic can help maintain your gut health.
One of the most common issues that our gut faces is small intestine bacteria overgrowth or SIBO. It is also known as small bowel bacteria overgrowth (SBBO). SIBO occurs when there is an overgrowth of one or more types of bacteria in our intestine. This bacteria will multiply in the small intestine. People often take probiotics to ensure the intestine has good bacteria that can tackle any growth of bad bacteria. However, what people don’t realize is that our large intestines should have millions of bacteria in it. The small intestine does not have too much bacteria.
Many GI practitioners and naturopaths that focus in SIBO feel that about 80% of people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome will have SIBO.
What are the symptoms of SIBO?
Many people think that acid reflux is the same as SIBO. It is very common to have acid reflux when acids from your stomach come into your throat or you pass gas when you are not having a bowel movement. However, SIBO has two very specific symptoms:
- Constipation – You will notice that you have developed extremely firm stool that is difficult to pass
- Diarrhea – You will have loose stool
Why do people get SIBO?
Whether people get SIBO or not depends on how well our nervous system and endocrine system work together. The combination of these two systems will affect how well we digest any food we take. Sometimes, surgical procedures and scars created by these procedures can affect the working of our digestive organs and intestines. Accidents can affect our organs badly, compressing them, or slightly shifting them in the body.
How to Deal with SIBO?
Overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine is very common and many people will have it at some point in their lives. However, this can be healed.
- Meet a naturopath to plan your treatment. The treatment should kill the extra bacteria in your intestine. It should control the pain and heal the mucus lining. The naturopath will guide you on how to eat and what to eat to avoid hurting the mucus lining of your intestines. The treatment plan will also ensure that the bad bacteria do not multiply again.
- Schedule sessions with a holistic manual therapist who has thorough training in Osteopathic Manual Therapy for both visceral and cranial work along with joints and fascia. These sessions will help to improve the structure of your body so that your organs can function well.
- Include activities that involve meditation and mindfulness in your daily life. If you feel very stressed and lost, meet a psychologist or psychotherapist.
Gut problems can have a major impact on our lifestyle. Visit https://neurvanahealth.com/ and meet our doctors to improve your gut and overall health.
Neurvana Naturopathic Medicine
2020 4 St SW #330, Calgary, AB T2S 1W3
Social account URLs:
https://www.facebook.com/NeurvanaHealth https://twitter.com/neurvanahealth https://www.linkedin.com/company/18946972/admin/